Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Margaret Dodson, Uncle Benny and Pollock's Snakes

Margaret Dodson ©RRobinson
Finding Margaret Dodson turned out to be an incredible stroke of luck. While scouting to see if I could figure out where the mountain people had been settled in Madison County, I discovered that there was a road in Madison County named Resettlement Rd. On a lark, one day I decided to take a drive and see what I could find. I took my camera with me just in case.

While driving down Resettlement I came across a man named Wayne who was working in the yard. He was the only one outside so I pulled over and asked him if this was where they had sent the mountain people after moving them out. Surprising to me, he confirmed that it was. If fact he told me, his mother had lived up in the mountains before it was a Park. She was inside and he said he would ask her if she would agree to being interviewed. She did and so I went inside with my camera and a small microphone.

At the time I didn't really know what questions to ask, so I let Rothstein's images stir up Margaret's memories. It was clear when she got started that Wayne and her daughter Kitty, had been told all her stories many times. They seemed to know them almost better than she did and they often corrected her. And were a lot of stories to tell. She told me about how her mother (Wayne and Kitty's grandmother) had worked at Skyland, Pollocks resort for over seventy years. How she used to walk over two miles each way down a mountain trail to get to work.

'Uncle Benny' Arthur Rothstein
As we were going through Rothstein's book, unexpectedly, she came across a picture of her brother sitting on a porch with a guitar. No one knew this. The Dodson's had never seen Rothstein's book and he had simply captioned the picture, "son of a squatter." Luckily the camera was rolling and we got it on film. You can hear Wayne and Kitty's surprise to have their mother identify their uncle Benny.

Later Margaret Dodson told me a curious story. A story about how George Pollock, the owner of the Skyland, used to perform with snakes. And not just any snake but rattlesnakes and copperheads. It was the thing that she most remembered about him. She told me about how he kept his snakes in a bathtub. Until that is, one escaped and climbed into bed with him. That marked the end of it.

It was this snake story that would help me understand an important discovery. After interviewing Mrs Dodson, I went to the National Archives in College Park to see if they had any archival footage that I could use for my film. I was looking for anything that would help give context to Rothstein's images. Something to help tell the story and put things in context.

George Pollock from A Trip to Skyland

What I found was this strange film titled, A Trip to Skyland and Shenandoah National Park. Dated with a question mark 1936?, the film at first seem to be just what I was looking for. It had black and white footage of the Park from the 30's. The perfect sort of thing a filmmaker wants. But as I watched it further it started to become very strange. At one point, all the people in the film were dressed up in costumes. They were performing what appeared to be a ritual all dressed up as Arabs in black face. There was even a man performing with snakes who was at the center of this ritual. For awhile this puzzled me. I thought it might be some unrelated footage. But then I realized it was Pollock performing his snake dance up at Skyland. This was what Margaret Dodson had told me about, Pollock's famous snake dance. Without Margaret Dodson I might have overlooked it.

Later I would return to interview Margaret Dodson again to see if she could tell me more about this film. It was then that she would tell me her story about Miriam Sizer and the seven Corbin Hollow children who were taken to Washington DC to have their tonsils taken out.

No comments:

Post a Comment